Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sobriety

It was requested of me...no that is not true, it was suggested, no that's not right either, I was told if I felt like it I could write a 500 word guest blog for http://www.alcoholicshare.org.
I have decided to give this a try, taking me completely out of my comfort zone.

To start with my alcohol use started when I was young, 12 or so, I always blacked out after drinking. It could be one beer and the rest of the evening was a blur to me. I was what is called a functioning drunk. That is the most ridiculous term, there truly is no such thing. Yes I worked everyday, rarely went in hung over or drunk, note the rarely, when I did I passed it off as just "being sick". Well of course I was sick, I poisoned the shit out of myself the night before, and on purpose. I raised 5 kids like this. I though that I was doing okay, that everything was fine. When young I was promiscuous and reckless, thinking I was adventurous, I was lucky is all. I never ended up in jail,wrecking my car, or losing a job. what I didn't see was that I lost me. My self respect, my sanity. I put myself in bad relationships, dragging my children with me, keep in mind I had 4 kids by 20 and 5 by 24.
At 50 I had long since known I had a problem, with no clue how to change it. I tried, oh how I tried to quit the cycle.  My oldest daughter quit drinking and became a member of AA, she cut ties with me, I was devasted. I understand now, but at the time I was suicidal over this. Then I began to see, I wanted to know so I searched and researched how to change this. I quit drinking for a month or so, started to feel better, but alas the disease pulled me back.
I needed counseling that was it...after all there were many things in my history that I drank over, many from before the choices were mine. I was severely sexually abused by an elder family member, physically and emotionally abused by my father and left to swim alone by my mother. Into counseling I went ....again. To no avail.
What happened? When the pain of drinking became to much to bear I got sober. A dear friend of mine, whom I loved as one of my children, came to my house one afternoon. He was an addict/alcoholic, I adored him as did many others, he had a small daughter and one on the way. He stopped by to make amends for some trivial wrong doing. My husband and I were sitting on the front porch, I of course drinking a beer, Mike went in and grabbed a beer, sat with us for a few minutes and drank it. Then hugs and I love you's all around he climbed on his newly acquired motorcycle and left, hitting 50 before the end of our street popping a wheelie most of the way. We both said at the same time,"He's gonna kill himself on that thing." 4 hours later we got the news he was dead, wrecked, what almost looked like suicide. He was drunk. I have been sober since that time. I will never allow another person to leave my home after consuming alcohol, nor will there be any here to consume.
It took 5 years for me to go to AA, I white knuckled it, with the teachings of my daughter and friends I met online, I became a different person. I have now recognized I am not God, I have  spiritual beliefs that save me. I don't have a sponsor but know I need one.
Today I am coping and dealing with an abundance of tragedy and trauma because life continues. Today I am present to contribute what I can, to the well being of others, today I am honest.
Except for this blog which is true and honest of my life, I just have to use other than my true identity to do so, as there are dangerous people about and I must protect myself and the children I am now raising. My son has become an addict and I have his children in my home with my husband.
I will tolerate no fabricated drama or dishonesty in my life and certainly not in theirs.
I am grateful I learned how to forgive, I am grateful I know I don't control any other person, I am grateful for my sobriety. 




2 comments:

  1. Edyth, thanks for writing this - I would like to re-post it next week. Thank you for being part of the recovery story on the internet. Thanks for putting our Logo on your Home page.
    Much Love, Thomas Gillis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tomas for considering my post. I am excited to be a part of what you are doing with Alcoholic Share. I hope to be able to contribute in one way or another on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete